Updated: March 23rd 2021, Version 3.
This privacy notice exists to inform you what happens to any personal data that you give to ORBIT Lab, hereafter referred to as “we” or “us”, or any data that we may collect from or about you. It applies to all products and services, and instances where we collect your personal data. We, as an entity of Aarhus University, comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation, which you can read about here:
This privacy notice, inspired by the easy-to-read layout of The Automobile Association (http://www.theaa.com/privacy-notice), applies to personal information processed by or on behalf of ORBIT Lab.
1.1 Changes to this privacy notice
1.2 Who will handle your data?
We are ORBIT Lab, located in Finlandsgade 28, 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark. However, Aarhus University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is the data controller of your personal data.
The ORBIT Lab Team are data handlers at ORBIT Lab. Questions regarding ORBIT Lab, this data policy, or general questions should be addressed to the ORBIT Lab Team, who can be contacted through email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Aarhus University has a dedicated data protection officer (“DPO”). You can contact the DPO by going to: http://www.au.dk/informationssikkerhed/databeskyttelse/kontakt/.
2. What kind of personal information about you do we process?
Personal information that we will process in connection with all of our procedures and services, if relevant, includes (listed alphabetically):
- Affiliation: When creating a profile, we need to know how you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab. Depending on your answer, you will be prompted to describe and/or validate the affiliation.
- Attributes: In our services you have the option to fill out some attributes about yourself, like skills, hobbies and interests. We will use these attributes to determine what you are interested in, and to give you the best possible experience when using our services.
- AUID: If you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab as an Aarhus University student, we will need your AUID for administrative purposes, for example validation and granting access to ORBIT Lab premises.
- Biography: In our systems you will be able to write a piece of text about yourself. What you write in this is completely up to you, and you are responsible for the information you provide through our services. Therefore you should think carefully about what you publish, especially if it is sensitive information.
- Company: If you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab as an external partner, or an employee of a partner company, we are interested in knowing what company you are working for and/or representing. This information is used for validating you as a user, and as a metric for ORBIT Lab, to show what companies we are collaborating with.
- Date of birth: To sign up for our services, you declare that you are at or above the age of 16. Date of birth is therefore not used for validation purposes in our system, and is optional for you to fill in, after you have created your profile. Date of birth is used for general statistics, for example what the average age of ORBIT community members are.
- Department: If you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab as an Aarhus University employee, we are interested in knowing what department you work at. This information is used for validating you as a user, and as a metric for ORBIT Lab, to show that we are providing a service for an interdepartmental group of employees at Aarhus University.
- Email address: When creating a profile you are asked to fill in your preferred email address. This email is used for validation purposes, and makes it possible for other community members to write you an email. The email is by default not public on your profile, but you have the option to make it public. In some cases, you will be asked for your work or student email address. This is used for validation purposes. Some services we provide are for Aarhus University students and employees only, and in order to get access to these, we need to verify your affiliation with Aarhus University.
- First and last name: In order to verify you as being affiliated with ORBIT Lab, you have to write your first and last name. This is not optional, since the services we provide are not for individuals who do not wish to identify themselves. Your first and last name will be available on your profile, for administrative purposes only. For services like lending equipment and booking rooms, we need to know the identities of the involved individuals.
- Gender: Gender is optional when you create a profile, in the sense that you can choose “would rather not say”. An important metric for ORBIT Lab and Aarhus University, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, is to get more women interested and educated in ICT, Electronics, Healthcare Technology and the revolving fields. In ORBIT Lab we are striving towards the best possible distribution of genders, personalities, skills and nationalities.
- Job description: If you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab as an external partner, or an employee of a partner company, we are interested in knowing what your job description/job title is. This information is only used as a part of your profile, and to contact the appropriate personnel at the partner companies
- Nationality and preferred language: On your profile it is optional, but highly recommended, that you fill in your nationality and preferred language. We highly encourage speaking English in ORBIT Lab. Your nationality will be used for general statistics, and to show the variety of nationalities affiliated with ORBIT Lab. Personal website: In our services, you have the option to link to your personal website or portfolio. This allows other community profiles to browse your website or portfolio.
- Phone number: Phone number is optional when you create a profile. If you choose to write your phone number, this can be set as a method for members to contact you.
- Picture: You have the option to attach a picture to your profile. This is completely optional, but it could be helpful for your community presence, because it will make it easier to connect your face to your name.
- Pictures from ORBIT events and ORBIT Lab: When attending ORBIT events and being physically present in the lab, you accept that you might appear on pictures taken by the ORBIT team, and that these can be used for promotional purposes, including but not limited to blog posts on our website, Social Media and on printed materials. You of course have the right to opt out of being on any of the pictures; to choose not to be on pictures, you have to explicitly tell a representative of the ORBIT team.
- Social media links: In our services, you have the option to link your social media profiles with your profile. This will allow other community profiles to connect with you on social media, and give you an alternative way to get in touch with each other.
- Starting year and graduation year: If you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab as an Aarhus University student, we are interested in knowing how far in your studies you are. This information is used for validating you as a user, and knowing when your affiliation should change from student to something else.
- Study Programme: If you are affiliated with ORBIT Lab as an Aarhus University student, we are interested in knowing what study programme you are on. We strive to give our members the best possible experience with ORBIT Lab products and services, and knowing what students we have as members of ORBIT Lab is valuable information for facilitating interesting events, and knowing what equipment we should offer for students to borrow.
3. What is the source of your personal information?
We will collect personal information from the following general sources:
- Any form, survey, or questionnaire that is required to become a part of the ORBIT Lab community.
- Information that can be given based on AUID. This could for example be access permissions, in order to grant you access to ORBIT Lab premises.
- Any information that you choose to share on the community platform, including all optional fields on your personal profile.
- Any information that you choose to share through direct contact, for example through email.
- Any event or activity facilitated by ORBIT Lab, where pictures will be taken.
- Any visit to our webpage, which results in data we use in aggregated form.
4. What do we use your personal data for?
We use your personal data, including any of the personal data listed in section 2 above, for the following purposes:
- For administrative purposes, including but not limited to, running the lab, permitting access to ORBIT Lab premises, facilitating lending of equipment and/or facilitating events.
- To get in contact with you, if necessary for any of the above mentioned purposes
- To keep track of your interests, so we can update you accordingly.
- For gathering data to use for statistics. We always strive to create better processes, services and products for our users, where statistics can be of great value. Statistics are furthermore used to show that we have a positive impact on the organisations that we work with and who fund us. Data will always be used and presented in aggregated and anonymized form.
5. What are the legal grounds for our processing of your personal information?
We rely on the following legal foundations to use your personal data:
- Where it is needed to provide you with our products or services.
- Where it is in your legitimate interests to do so, such as offering you information on events, equipment or news within a topic you are interested in.
- With your consent.
6. When do we share your personal information with other organisations?
We may share information with the following third parties for the purposes listed above:
- Aarhus University entities that handle parts of operations including, but not limited to, access permissions,
facilities, keycards, equipment etc.
- Partners we work in collaboration with when doing, for example, events or projects proposals. If sharing
will happen, we will ask for your explicit consent.
7. How and when can you withdraw your consent?
Where we are relying upon your consent to process personal data, you can withdraw this at any time by contacting us. Contact information can be found in the last section of this document.
8. Is your personal information transferred outside Denmark or the EEA?
If we do so we will make sure that suitable safeguards are in place, for example by using approved contractual agreements, unless certain exceptions apply.
9 What should you do if your personal information changes?
You should notify us so that we can update our records. We will then update our records as soon as possible. Contact information can be found in the last section of this document.
10. Do you have to provide your personal information to us?
We are unable to provide you with our products or services if you do not provide certain information to us. In cases
where providing some personal information is optional, we will make this clear.
11. For how long is your personal information retained by us?
Unless we explain otherwise to you, we will hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- For as long as we have reasonable needs, such as managing our relationship with you and managing our operations
- For as long as we provide products or services to you
12. What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws:
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the “right to be forgotten”)
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information (“data portability”)
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
The abovementioned rights are not applicable under special circumstances. For example, your do not have the
right to be forgotten, as long as you still possess one or more pieces of our equipment. When the equipment is handed in, you again possess that right. If you wish to use any of the rights, we will explain at that time if they are engaged or not.
13. Your right to object
You have the right to object to certain purposes for processing, in particular to data processed for direct marketing purposes and to data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests.
14. Contact us
All initial contact regarding this document or ORBIT processes, in general, should be addressed to Litte Dalsgaard, Community Manager, email@example.com or Kasper Løvborg Jensen, Head of ORBIT Lab at firstname.lastname@example.org.